Best trekking places in India: #1 Triund, Himachal Pradesh
Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world! If you are amongst those who think trekking is the answer to all the questions, you have landed at the right place! Taking a hike is always a good option when you wish to break free from the suffocating and demanding city life. A bunch of passionate globetrotters is celebrating the spirit of adventure and kick-starting a special series on the best trekking places in India.
So let’s get into the first part of the series without any further ado! We are embarking on this exciting journey with the much-talked-about and attractive trekking places in India, Triund!
Triund: A trekking heaven
Triund is one of the best trekking places in India. Snuggled in the lap of the lofty Dhauladhar Range, Triund is a serene trekking destination that boasts of natural splendor and jaw-dropping panoramic views of the Kangra valley. This moderately-challenging yet super-thrilling trek is 18 km from Dharamshala.
The Triund trek is marked by undulating and steep trails. But fret not, the path is mostly well-defined. The first 5 km are a smooth ride, and the rest of the route would require a sturdy walk.
You could start your trek to Triund from the town of McLeodganj (also referred to as little Lhasa) or Dharamshala after breakfast. An ascent from Bhagsu Nag will allow you to take revitalizing walks through green rhododendron and oak trees. Keep nibbling on delicious food in cafes that dot the trail like Magic View, Scenic View, and Snowline Café.
Reach Triund and check in at any guest house or pitch in a camp to enjoy late-night bonfire scenes under the sprawling starlit sky. Move upslope to Khabrotu the next morning. Capture mesmerizing views of Laka Glacier and the snow-clad Dhauladhar peaks. Go downhill while admiring the glory of Bhagsu waterfall en route.
Best time to travel
Triund trekking is a rage amongst travelers all throughout the year, excluding January and February when heavy snowfall blocks the trekking route. If you are craving for clear views and cozy weather, then visitingTriund from March to June would be a good idea.
How to reach
- By Air: Land at Gaggal Airport (Also called Kangra Airport) and take a taxi to Dharamshala. The distance is about 13 km and would take around 35-40 minutes.
- By Road: You could start from New Delhi while crossing Chandigarh, Kangra and finally reaching Dharamsala. If you are arriving from Pathankot, drive till Gaggal and follow the route to Dharamshala.
- By Train: Pathankot is a major railway station that is nearest to Dharamshala (around 85 km). Paror railway station near Nagrota is about 20 km south of Dharamshala.
As soon as you reach Dharamshala, take a local bus to McLeodganj. A shared cab toMcLeodganj or Dharamkot is also a good option.
Guess it’s time to scroll your calendars! A fun trek to Triund is totally worth it! Keep checking out this space to know where we are heading to next in our series – The best trekking places in India.
For more, visit our facebook page.
- Previous Unravel the Bermuda Triangle Mystery: A Region of Lost Tourism
- Next Best trekking places in India: #2 Roopkund